Preventative Care is Key with Oral Cancer
April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month, and at Campi Dental, it’s our goal to educate our patients and the community about Oral Cancer.
Below are statistics, facts, and signs to look for to be proactive against oral cancer. If you ever have any doubts or questions, please don’t hesitate to call us at 732-449-2228.The American Cancer Society’s most recent estimates for oral cancer in the United States for 2021 are:
- Tobacco use of any kind and heavy alcohol use are primary causes of Oral Cancer as well as excessive sun exposure to your lips or a sexually transmitted virus called HPV
- About 54,010 people will get oral cavity or oropharyngeal cancer in 2021
- An estimated 10,850 people will die of these cancers
- These cancers are more than twice as common in men as in women and are about equally common in Blacks and in whites
- Oral cavity and oropharyngeal cancers occur most often in the tongue, tonsils & oropharynx, the gums, and the floor of the mouth
- The average age of people with oral cancer is 62, but it can occur in young people. Rare in children, but a little more than one-quarter occur in patients younger than 55
- Patients with oral cancers often will have another cancer in a nearby area such as the larynx (voice box), the esophagus, or the lung.
- After being cured of oral cancer, it’s common to develop another cancer later in the lung, mouth, throat, or other nearby areas. For this reason, follow up exams will be very important.
We are currently accepting appointments for Oral Cancer screenings. Each screening is $25, which includes a $10 donation to Mary’s Place by the Sea. Mary’s Place by the Sea is a nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting women who are receiving treatment for cancer. We provide services that complement their medical treatment, including oncology massages, nutrition education, individual counseling, expressive writing, reflexology, Reiki, guided meditation, prayer, and yoga…at no cost to our guests. Our guests are given the opportunity to hit the pause button on their medical treatments and daily responsibilities and just be. Our integrative services provide our guests rest and support during this challenging time in their lives. They are empowered with knowledge that will aid them on their road to healing.
Comments are closed.